Contact us via Facebook
Find out more about MY NORTH STAR

North Star welcomes residents of Darlington Housing Association - Find out more

From October 2013, Universal Credit was introduced to bring together a number of working-age benefits including Housing Benefit, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, Child Benefit and Carer’s Allowance (income related).

It is being phased in over a number of years starting with new claimants or those with a change of circumstances. If you are on Universal Credit, your housing costs will be included in your monthly payment.

If you’d like more information on Universal Credit, or to find out if the changes could affect you, please get in touch.

If you need help setting up your online account take a look at this useful video…


Universal Credit is being fully rolled out across Darlington and Stockton and Thornaby from June and July 2018.  

If you have an enquiry regarding your Universal Credit housing costs email us on

Making a new claim for Universal Credit

 Check you have everything you need to apply

Before you apply for Universal Credit, you’ll need to gather some Information together. This will help make sure you only have to do the application once, and help you to get Universal Credit as quickly as possible if you’re eligible.

Don’t start your application until you have all of the following details for you and your partner with you:

  • Your email address – you cannot make a claim without an email address
  • Your postcode
  • Your NI number – you can find this on a payslip or letter from HMRC – call the helpline on 0300 200 3500 (textphone 0300 200 3519) if you can’t find it
  • Details of your bank, building society or credit union account (if you don’t have a bank account, you’ll need to open one or use simple payment (
  • How much rent you pay – this can be found on your rent agreement, ask your landlord for a copy if you don’t have one
  • Your landlord’s address – this can be found on your rent agreement, ask your landlord for a copy if you don’t have one
  • Your landlord’s phone number
  • Details of any savings you have and any other ‘capital’ investments, e.g. shares or property that you don’t live in
  • Details of any income that’s not from work, e.g. from a pension or insurance plan
  • Details of how much you earn from work, e.g. recent payslips
  • How much you pay for childcare (if you want to claim for child care costs)
  • Details of any other benefits you’re getting, i.e. what benefit and how much you get.
  • Child benefit reference numbers for any children you have if you get child benefit – this can be found on letters to you about child benefit, it will start with ‘CHB’ and is made up of 8 numbers and 2 letters, e.g. CHB12345678 AB – phone the Child Benefit Office on 0300 200 3100. (textphone 0300 200 3103) if you need help

You’ll need evidence for all these details for when you go to your interview, so you’ll need to gather all the documents together, e.g. landlord agreement (or a letter from them with your rent amount on it), payslips, bank statements etc. details of any other benefits you’re getting, i.e.  what benefit and how much you get.


Pay my Rent
Report a Repair
Apply for a Home