Contact us via Facebook
Find out more about MY NORTH STAR

North Star welcomes residents of Darlington Housing Association - Find out more


If you think you have moved or damaged asbestos

Leave your home and call us on 03000 110011. Do not return to your home until your are advised that it is safe to do so.

DIY work in your home

You must contact your Housing Officer asking and request permission before completing any DIY work in your home. Depending on the type of work we make arrange for an asbestos survey to be completed before works can proceed.

Asbestos surveys

Wherever we find asbestos, we complete a risk assessment and check the condition of the asbestos. If the asbestos is in a good condition, we either leave it in place or remove it. If the asbestos is in a poor condition or could cause you harm, we remove it.

We have completed asbestos surveys for all our communal areas. We recheck areas with asbestos once a year.

We have a register for properties we know or believe has asbestos. We update the register every time we survey a home or remove asbestos.

If your home has had an asbestos survey, we will give you a copy when you move in. We may also arrange an asbestos survey for your home while you live there if we plan to do work in your home or to check it is safe for you to do DIY work.

If we have completed an asbestos survey within your home we will have an electronic copy of this survey. You can request a copy of this survey by contacting us on 03000 110011.

Asbestos – Information you need to know

Asbestos is a strong, fire-resistant natural mineral that was commonly used in building materials between the 1950s and the 1980s.

Asbestos can be dangerous if moved or damaged. This could happen if you:

  • drill a hole in a wall or ceiling
  • plaster a textured wall or ceiling
  • remove any material or floor coverings you did not install
  • sand, saw or scrub certain surfaces

Asbestos is not in cavity-wall insulation but can be found in:

  • cement products, like roofing and wall cladding
  • insulation boards on heating cupboard doors
  • textured wall and ceiling coverings
  • vinyl floor coverings, like plastic floor tiles and linoleum



Pay my Rent
Report a Repair
Apply for a Home